Is A Non-Penetrating Guardrail System Non-Permanent?
A non-penetrating rooftop guardrail or barrier system is made up of uprights, top rails, mid rails, weighted base plates, and various clamps and screws. They are non-penetrating because the base plates that enable the posts and rails to freely stand upright are weighted, thus not requiring the installer to fasten the uprights to the roof.
Having a non-penetrating guardrail is indeed a permanent rooftop safety solution. Both penetrating and non-penetrating systems will keep roof workers (contractors, maintenance staff, and service teams) safe while working on the roof, minimizing the risk of a fall-related injury. Our line of rooftop guardrail solutions has remained on roofs with minimal maintenance requirements for 10+ years. Just like guardrail solutions that are fastened to the roof, non-penetrating systems will stand the test of time. With that being said, why do facility managers and roofing contractors prefer installing a non-penetrating roof barrier system? Here is why you would choose a non-penetrating rooftop guardrail;
- Gives you the flexibility to move the system, enabling you to reuse the same equipment once a roof is reroofed.
- Our line of RoofBarrier guardrails require less installation time and labor due to their modular design! For contractors, this means you’ll be saving on installation time, labor, and costs. If you are a facility manager, the reduced labor requirements will help towards reducing your overall budgetary requirements.
- Depending on the design and material of your roof, fastening a guardrail may simply not be an option.
- If you plan on fastening the system to the roof, once the installation is complete, you will need to repair and/or reseal those sections of the roof. More often than not, the cost of resealing and repairing the commercial roof is not taken into consideration when choosing between a penetrating vs non-penetrating guardrail.
- Unlike others, our array of roof barrier products are modular in design, making it extremely easy to set up and install on-site. All you need are a few simple hand tools.
- With each standard RoofBarrier base plate weighing 40 – 100 lbs, non-penetrating systems will withstand sunshine, high winds, rain and snow.
- If your yearly rooftop inspection/audit yields maintenance and/or repairs, having a modular non-penetrating solution will facilitate the process. Furthermore, making it simple to ensure rooftop safety compliance.
- Meets and surpasses North American rooftop safety regulations.
Ultimately, it comes down to how quick and easy the installation process is with a modular non-penetrating guardrail system. There is also no need for any re-work to be done to the roof after installation, unlike fixed systems where you need to repair and reseal the roof, potentially voiding your roof warranty.