Replacement of a non-compliant wood guardrail & crossover system
The McDonald’s Canadian corporate headquarters is located at 1 McDonald’s Place in Toronto. Lennard Commercial Realty manages the commercial property. Their extensive experience and broad expertise, topped by their key connections, make them a great partner for large and small organizations.
Lennard’s facility maintenance team was concerned with the current structure not meeting local safety guidelines, ultimately rendering it non-compliant. Even if the system were in perfect condition, it still wouldn’t be considered compliant as it does not meet local height safety regulations.
The facility maintenance team was looking for a permanent solution to provide safe access to the building’s extensive HVAC system. Lennard reached out to our rooftop safety specialists to discuss their safety goals below.
- The requirement for a permanent solution.
- The system to be powder coated with a customer yellow color to match the rest of the building and roof.
- A stocked solution as a quick turnaround would be required.
- A solution that would be quick and easy to install.
- An anti-slip walkway and crossover system.
- A solution that meets both local and TSSA height safety guidelines.
Our team delivered a custom walkway and crossover solution that not only met the requirements listed above but surpassed them.
- All drawings were stamped by engineering and included solutions that would yield a 4-week turnaround.
- The system met all local and TSSA guidelines, ensuring a compliant safety solution.
- Perforated walkways and steps to ensure maximum grip during the winter months.
- The system was fully modular, making it easy to install on-site. This helped in reducing the overall installation costs of the solution.
- The walkway, platforms and guardrails are all manufactured in aluminum. This lightweight material made it easy and less costly to transport the material to the roof.
- With the system being self-ballasted, the unit was not required to penetrate the roof membrane. This eliminated the need for repairs to reseal any holes the installation would have made.