Quebec City International Airport Creates a Hazard-Free Rooftop
Protecting HVAC Technicians & Roof Workers
Rooftop HVAC units play a big role in keeping a space well-ventilated and comfortable. During the summer months, the outdoor temperatures can reach above 30 degrees Celsius in Quebec City, requiring the HVAC units to be working efficiently 24/7. When a unit is working inefficiently, the space it supports can become uncomfortable, especially when taking into consideration the amount of natural light heating up the space through the building’s big viewing windows. Therefore, when a HVAC unit isn’t working, it requires immediate attention and service. With the unit installed close to the edge of the flat roof, the maintenance team at the Quebec City airport reached out to Skyline Group’s roof safety specialists to discuss a roof safety solution that would create a safe perimeter around the HVAC system.
HVAC Safety Barrier
On this flat roof the HVAC system is slightly more than six feet away from the roof’s edge, so why would a safety solution be required? When a member of the facility maintenance team, or a third-party service worker, is required to be on the roof they need to travel and work in an environment that is within six feet of the roof’s edge. When taking into consideration one’s tools and the need to work from all angles of the HVAC system, you are physically too close to a fall hazard. As a result, the Skyline Group recommended a 5001 series RoofBarrier system that would act as a permanent safety solution, ensuring that regardless of who is on the roof, the risk of falling is eliminated.
Why a Non-Penetrating Roof Barrier
Both penetrating and non-penetrating systems will keep roof workers safe while working on a commercial flat roof, minimizing the risk of injury. The Quebec City airport preferred the 5001 series modular self-ballasted solution due to the following;
- Being a self-ballasted unit meant that there was no need to fasten the roof barrier to the new rooftop. Eliminating the need for the roof to be resealed from potential leaks.
- It’s modular design brought various advantages;
- Easy and quick installation
- When compared to a welded solution, the 5001 series is extremely easy to transport to the rooftop.
- Its design allowed for flexibility, as the roof grows with the needs of the airport, so will the safety solution.
- Its galvanized steel material ensures that the unit will not corrode during the harsh winter months.